Problem solving can be a skill that some are born with. Unfortunately, many people have trouble handling problems that come up, whether serious issues or daily conflicts. Here are a few tricks to thinking your way through everyday problems and issues.
- Make sure you understand the problem completely. If you really assess the situation and pay attention to the actual issue, you can handle it relatively easily by keeping an open mind .
- Get as much information as you can in order to make an informed decision about the problem. If the problem doesn't require a decision, it's important you still learn as much as you can.
- Talk to people in your support group such as friends, family, co-workers, other parents, etc. Try to keep emotions out of it and talk facts. Try to remain as practical and fair as possible.
- Ask questions and get as many details as possible. Find out both sides if there is more than one person involved. Chances are there are always hidden facts and sometimes knowing all the facts will help the problem solve itself
- Take time. You may be rushed to make an immediate decision but it's alright to tell them to give you time to make a decision. Tell them you need to think it through.